The Indian Institute of Remote Sensing (IIRS), an educational body under the esteemed Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has introduced a free online course named “Geospatial Analysis using Google Earth Engine”. This comprehensive course equips its participants with the necessary skills and knowledge about Google Earth Engine.
This course delves into utilizing satellite imagery and geospatial data, with Geographic Information System (GIS) capabilities, to address applications such as environmental management, disaster response, climate change studies, wildlife monitoring, and land cover assessment by using cloud-based solutions like Google Earth Engine,
What are the benefits of joining the ISRO course on geospatial analysis?
The course participants will have attained the following skills once they have completed the course.
- Can write programs in Google Earth Engine to process satellite imagery
- Generate various ratio images like NDVI, EVI
- Implement Machine Learning algorithms for Land Use and Land Cover classification
- Perform specific analyses by uploading study area boundaries and extracting relevant data from Google Earth Engine.
Those participants who meet the attendance criteria will also receive a “Course Participation Certificate” either through their institution's Nodal Center or through individual registration on the ISRO Learning Management System.
What topics are covered under the curriculum of this course?
The program will cover a wide range of topics essential for proficiency in geospatial analysis using Google Earth Engine. These topics include
- Overview of Google Earth Engine
- Time Series Visualization of Optical Multispectral Data
- Feature Extraction using Spectral Band Rationing
- Feature Extraction Using Machine Learning Algorithms
- Data Downloading and Uploading for area of interest-based processing
Checklist for ISRO course on geospatial analysis
- Duration: 19 February 2024 to 23 February 2024
- Course fee: INR 0/-
- Eligibility: Undergraduate or postgraduates in their final year from any discipline can apply.
- Registration: Participants can register through designated Nodal Centers or as individuals.
This course offered by IIRS signifies a step towards fostering expertise in geospatial analysis and harnessing the power of technology. Eligible candidates are suggested to grab the opportunity and submit their registrations on time as a limited number of seats are available.