The worldwide pandemic and the lockdown have pushed digital usage and disrupted countless businesses over the last two years. Given the constant rapidity of digital innovation, many organizations were pushed to change swiftly and futuristically in such conditions. With the advancement of 5G and modern technological solutions has altered the proportions.
The APAC region is currently leading the world in the adoption of 5G and is set to remain in that position. Telcos here are planning to spend USD$331 billion on 5G rollouts between 2020 and 2025, and are forecast to account for 65 per cent of global 5G subscriptions by 2024. Businesses within the region have the opportunity to set the global standard for 5G services and establish themselves as innovative suppliers. 5G is expected to contribute up to $12.3 million of the global output in 2035, as it is set to amplify data transmission and connectivity that is vital for the IoT and connected devices of the future.
However, to reach here, they need to make the most of available resources to build a robust infrastructure and deliver business value. Legacy applications are no longer viable commercial applications as they have limited bandwidth and are not 100% capable to optimize emerging tech solutions. Legacy Application Modernization is an emerging need of the hour, when resource efficiency and technology adoption have become critical.
Application Modernization Technology, as a concept, simply refers to the updating/ upgrading of Software, preferably on a cloud platform, to be compatible with the more modern and emerging computing technologies, while bringing better agility, efficacy and speed to the operational and strategic functions of technology adoption. Some of the key benefits that businesses can leverage by implementing 5G technology and modernization of legacy applications, include:
- Faster network speeds: – 5G is anticipated to unleash network speeds up to 50 GBPS and this is set to revolutionize all movement and processing of data. With timely modernization of legacy applications, businesses will be able to leverage the optimum potential and experience enhanced performance of all their tech infrastructure, especially for new tech advancements like IOT, AR, VR, etc.
- Edge computing / IOT: The cornerstone for utilizing IoT to its greatest potential is 5G. It is clear that 5G will promote innovation across a variety of industries and offer an enhanced platform for wider applications of IoT, which is set to become a key to AI and business automation, in the near future.
- Streaming apps: –As most B2C and B2B functions are moving to smart phone apps, the advent of 5G is set to enhance the app experience with faster streaming and speedy results. The mobile first marketing and operational approach is set to benefit and optimize business processes, even more with 5G, helping the world become a lot more mobile. From distribution of real-time data and live streaming holds enormous promise, thanks to the winning combination of cloud computing and 5G networks.
- Integrated, Cloud-based IT infrastructure: A modernized, cloud-based technology infrastructure makes it simple and sensible to integrate a variety of different tech-enabled procedures. This may lead to a smarter, quicker, and more seamless operational network that is capable of optimizing AI, automation, and smart data analytics, while maintaining data security and privacy.
- Resource optimization: Modernization of legacy applications helps businesses to transform old assets into more relevant and intelligent ones, thereby optimizing them. In alignment with 5G, this can facilitate faster adoption of emerging tech solutions, strengthening cloud-based infrastructure and ensuring consistent performance through affordable, and effective processes.
- Higher levels of customer satisfaction: Improved operational efficiency, faster streaming and enhanced customer experience on apps will eventually lead to better customer satisfaction. Additionally, on the customer serviceability aspect also, 5G powered solutions can help enhance service efficacy and consequently customer happiness by leveraging AI and data intelligence.
These are the benefits that a business can gain, however, it is important to partner with a trusted expert for Transforming Business Applications, that can not only help with not only Legacy Application Modernization but can also customize and effectively integrate cloud migration strategy so as to optimize efficiency. A trusted expert can help transform the tech infrastructure in a company through these 3 key areas:
- Infrastructure Modernizations: Technology infrastructure modernization is critical to the entire development and up-gradation of outdated applications. Unfortunately, modernization has been narrowly focused on cloud migration when there is much more to it. Microservice architecture, AWS, compartmentalization, and other techniques, etc., all contribute to a more agile, and efficient infrastructure, which is critical for the whole application modernization process.
- UI/UX Modernization: Customer success and experience have grown more important for successful organizations, particularly in the digital environment, where effective technological solutions have become a significant differentiator in the total customer experience. Modernization of UX (User Experience) or UI (User Interface) allows businesses to make use of the latest in automation, data analytics, and smart solutions to cater to and improve the customer experience while saving money.
- Data Migration: One of the most important aspects of application modernization is the migration of data from physical servers to a cloud-based network, often known as ‘re-hosting’ and should be done by experts in cloud migration solutions. Apart from making the operational network more agile and safe, data transfer has greatly aided Cloud Data Security, resource optimization and integration of various tech solutions, including the use of artificial intelligence for data analysis and automation.
Building the right foundations with modern infrastructure will allow businesses to maintain a competitive edge and leverage the new opportunities ahead, brought on by the advent of 5G. Application Modernization and Optimization, in alignment with 5G, can help in continuous business innovation; no longer constrained by physical limitations in a fully virtualized environment, where one can rapidly deploy applications across data centres, clouds, and devices from anywhere.
The author is Sumana Iyengar, CEO & Co-Founder, Goavega Software