UGC Scholarship has been announced yet again, and students pursuing their postgraduation may submit online applications for the same. The scheme has been initiated keeping in view the social background of the candidates from the deprived section of the society and to provide them with an opportunity to undertake postgraduate level studies in professional subjects like engineering and technology, management, pharmacy, and other such degrees in Indian universities, institutions or colleges, says UGC.
Around 1000 students belonging to scheduled castes and scheduled tribes will be rewarded the UGC scholarship, and candidates selected for the award of PG scholarships under ME or MTech will be provided a scholarship of Rs 7800 per month for the duration of the PG Scholarship. However, for other courses, the amount of scholarship will be paid at Rs.4500 per month. The scholarship shall be paid to the awardee from the date of joining the postgraduate first-year course during the selection year.
Important Details of the UGC Scholarship
Students who are interested to apply are advised to go through the following important points before submitting applications on the National Scholarship Portal:
- Candidates should be enrolled in universities, institutes or colleges that are recognised.
- MA, MSc, MCom, MSW and Mass Communication and Journalism degree will be accepted as “Non-professional courses”.
- Candidates pursuing a postgraduate course in professional subjects through correspondence or in distance education mode are not eligible to receive financial assistance under this scheme.
- The tenure of the award is for two or three years depending upon the tenure of the postgraduate course and not for an extended period of study, says the notification.
- The UGC scholarship amount will be paid through DBT mode to selected students.
- The scholarship will be forfeited from students failing to get promoted to the next class or level.
How to Apply for UGC Scholarship?
- Interested candidates fulfilling the required eligibility criteria would be required to apply online on the National Scholarship Portal (NSP) before 30 November 2021.
- Defective verification and institute verification will be open until 15 December 2021. The host institution where the candidate is studying is required to verify the online application.