Metaverse is here to prosper and fast building its cities, nations and continents. The population is all set to explode in meta and very soon metaverse will be accessible to every potential avatar through 5G mobile handset. The way metaverse started, as a digitalization of real world, has now rapidly taking the path of drawing people to physical world from virtual world. Recent launch of Electric Car XC40 by Volvo in “Volvoverse” is an illustration of how metaverse has taken over our lives and how well industry is using metaverse to foster growth.
Metaverse progression is aided by advancements of other emerging technologies. Artificial Intelligence, Virtual & Augmented reality technologies are the spine of metaverse, while at the same time Non-fungible Tokens (NFT ) and “internet of everything” or “net of Future”- Web 3.0 made Metaverse a breakthrough innovation. The advent of peer-peer networks using blockchain technologies and decentralized and distributed storage models which technologies like Ethereum offers, has accelerated the growth of metaverse and the chances of its fast-tracked adaptability.
Launch of 5G network services which enables 100x faster speeds than 4G, the so called ‘real’ wireless network is an essential infrastructure catalyst which is helping Metaverse and web3.0 evolve faster. True to what Peter Diamandis said: (co-founder of Singularity university) “In the next decade, we will experience more progress than in the past 100 years”, the metaverse is exploding faster than one can imagine.The top 5 noticeable trends of Web 3.0 & Meta in the era of 5G are :
- The Semantic Web: The shift from “readable” machine network to “understandable” intelligent network is what semantic web or Web 3.0 will deliver. More importantly, web 3.0 will ensure platform fiduciaries controlling and monetizing public data will no longer be relevant to do that and data control in decentralized world will rest with its real owner-you and me.
- Its XR now, combination of VR and AR : Extended Reality (XR) is the phenomena of combining Virtual reality (VR) and Augmented Reality (AR). XR is crucial for Metaverse and it delivers a virtual world experience in the end. However, the way VR & AR technologies interact to create XR differ in their character. VR technologies help simulate a real world through computers and helps create an immersive real-time interactive virtual replica of real world. On the other hand, AR technologies create virtual images of “objects” and “places” which doesn’t exist in real-world and place them accurately in virtual world so that users can virtually experience an enhanced and intertwined real-virtual world. XR will bring a world where humans can seamlessly switch from virtual to real world and vice-versa.
Heavy investments by Apple and Facebook in XR space; the certainty of 5G connectivity and the low latency it will offer to majority of globe, this space is bound to disrupt.
- The brand new Social Networking Spaces: Imagine enjoying a football match with a group of fellow citizens but totally strangers without revealing your real identity. These virtual social networks are a certainty now, thanks to Metaworld. Adding to a concealed identity, user generated and owned content sharable only to the chosen network is quite a possibility. Using web 3.0 & blockchain technologies, a totally de-centralized social media platform is the new realism, where the content shared is owned by users and not platform. Power of 5G processing will enable faster access of these decentralized social media networks, accessible through NFTs.
- BaaS – Blockchain as a Service(BaaS): As Blockchain technologies have become more real than hype, enterprises are more ready today to implement blockchain enabled services and build new revenue streams. The annual spending on Blockchain technologies by global enterprises especially financial services industry is going up YoY, as the tech. has evolved and has applications beyond Crypto currencies. 5G implementation will boost the communication power of all chained devices which will pave way for more and more blockchain based apps.
BaaS is a third party hosted and manged infrastructure for quick development of blockchain apps. Hyperscale cloud infrastructure players offer BaaS platform offerings and this will bring in the necessary impetus for next gen evolution of Blockchains specially Distributed Ledger Technologies for larger good.
- Edge Computing: 5G facilitates ubiquity of data which means internet can be accessed from anywhere from any device and not necessarily only from Computer/mobile devices. Internet of things (IOT) technologies makes this possible and this is an essential requirement for an Metaverse & web3.0 to flourish.
Edge computing is the distributed infrastructure model where apps and data are processed at the edge of a network on all connected devices like Mobile, Laptops, Sensors, iot devices, smart cars etc. All Hyperscale cloud infrastructure providers facilitate edge computing through their edge data centres, so as to improve latency and enable faster processing. Edge computing would be a dire necessity in Metaworld.
Metaverse is a combinatorial innovation involving i) Technologies of Artificial Intelligence, Distributed Ledger technologies, NFT, Virtual reality, Augmented Reality, Web 3.0 ii) Data centre Infrastructure with edge computing and iii) Network infrastructure of 5G technologies.
With the gradual rollout of 5G, there will be an unprecedented disruption in Web 3.0 and Metaverse spaces leading to a transformational shift in the way we will deal with virtual world in times to come.
The article has been written by Satyamohan Yanambaka- CEO Writer Information Management Services