NIOS Board Exam 2020 has now been postponed by the Ministry of Human Resource and Development in view of the Coronavirus pandemic in the country. “In continuation of Notification No. 14/2020 dated 01.6.2020, the Public Examination of Secondary and Senior Secondary (Theory), March/April 2020 rescheduled to commence from 17th July 2020 stands postponed till further orders due to Covid-19 Pandemic situation,” said the official notification from the National Institute of Open Schooling.
“The NIOS learners are advised to visit NIOS website www.nios.ac.in www.sdmis.nios.ac.in for further information. This issues with the approval of the competent authority,” added NIOS in its statement. While both theory and practical exams have been postponed by the Central Government, students seem to be unhappy with this decision.
Several students have been trending the hashtags promote NIOS and Justice for NIOS students on Twitter, demanding the HRD Ministry to promote NIOS students as they did with CBSE students. Although NIOS has canceled the Class 12 exams for children with special needs, there is still no official word for remaining students.
“Sir please save our dreams by saving our year. Please give us the same Opportunity as special need students to pass our exam on the basis of Question-answer based assignments,” says Manikarnika on Twitter. “We are also students like CBSE board and ICSE board. Why you are discriminating us stop this discrimination and ignorance we are fed up of this,” says Ayesha Jamil.
Several other students are also citing “mental pressure” as they hope for the postponement of NIOS Board Exam 2020 amidst the rising number of COVID-19 cases. “In NIOS there are approximately 4 lakh students and in that 4 lakh students, there is 40% of the student who is really brilliant and the rest 60% it is the average kind of student. So how could you even think to play with that 40% student’s life and career,” say messages from several students on Twitter.
However, the HRD ministry is yet to make any announcement regarding NIOS. NIOS Board Exam 2020 is conducted twice a year, and students are required to travel to the designated centres to take the examination.