ISRO is now accepting applications for two new online courses on GIS Technology and Earth Observation for which interested professionals and students can register on the Indian Institute of Remote Sensing (IIRS) website. Recently, the institute also offered a free online course on machine learning to deep learning for students. While the ISRO free online course on GIS Technology will be conducted from 21 June to 2 July 2021, the course on Earth Observation for Carbon Cycle Studies will be conducted from 21 June to 25 June 2021.
Participants can attend the course through the IIRS e-class portal or may also log into the official YouTube channel of the institute to learn about the topics. All participants will receive an ISRO certificate for the courses based on an attendance criterion of 70 percent. The participants who attend the course sessions through the IIRS YouTube channel should mark their attendance via offline session which will be made available after 24 hours.
Details of ISRO Free Online Course on Overview of Web GIS Technology
ISRO says that this free online course is open for all, and will cover the following topics from 21 June to 2 July 2021:
- Introduction to client-server systems, Internet and Web GIS technology.
- Introduction of Database Management System including SQL Queries and Data visualization including PostgreSQL and POSTGIS, Spatial SQL and Geo-visualization QGIS and Web.
- OGC We Services and Data publishing using Geoserver.
- Hand-on Experiment on GeoserverSLD, WMS, WFS, WCS and other Geo-web services.
- Web Mapping APIs: OpenLayers and Leaflet.
- Development of Web GIS applications using Mashup architecture.
- Web GIS applications for Governance.
Details of ISRO Free Online Course on Earth Observation for Carbon Cycle Studies
The course aims at giving participants an understanding of using Earth Observation (EO) satellites for accurate quantification of carbon fluxes of forest and agroecosystems at local, regional and global scales. The following topics will be covered from 21 June to 25 June 2021:
- Role of EO in carbon cycle assessment: Status, challenges and issues.
- Measuring ecosystem carbon exchange: Observational network, Instrumentation and advanced sensors.
- Up-scaling and modeling of carbon fluxes: Remote sensing and process-based modeling.
- Earth observation and its role in vegetation carbon pool assessment.
- Earth observation and its role in soil organic carbon (SOC) assessment.
How to Enroll for ISRO Free Online Course
Interested students will have to first register on the official website entering the following details.
- Their full name as per their class 10 certificate.
- Email address and password.
- Selecting the course they wish to enroll in.
- Personal details.
- Educational details.
- Uploading the documents required.
Applicants can also preview their applications, and check application status after submission. Those who wish to know more can go through the course brochure for the online course on Earth Observation, and course schedule for the online course on GIS Technology for further information.