ISRO is currently accepting applications for yet another free online course being offered through its centre the Indian Institute of Remote Sensing (IIRS). The course called “Usefulness of Remote Sensing and GIS for Environmental Studies” is being offered for school students. The course is around five days long and will be conducted from 26 to 30 July 2021. Participants of this online course can also receive an ISRO certificate.
The course is open to all Indian school students from classes 10, 11 and 12. The main focus of the course will be on principles of remote sensing and geographic information system and their applications for environmental studies. Interested students will have to apply for the course through the IIRS Edusat portal before 20 July 2021.
Aim of the ISRO Free Online Course on Remote Sensing Technology for School Students
The course, ISRO says, aims at raising awareness among school students on remote sensing technology and its use for the study of planet Earth and its environment through informative lectures and demonstrations. Remote sensing and GIS technology can be used to understand the intricacies of the environment. “Exposing the knowledge of satellite data utilization via GIS and image processing software in environmental science has a great scope as it would help the students to understand the importance of remote sensing and then in career decision making,” says the notification.
Important Details of the ISRO Free Online Course on Remote Sensing Technology
Participating school students need to be aware of the following important details with regard to the ISRO free online course on Remote Sensing Technology:
- This course is only for school students from classes 10 to 12. Students belonging to higher or lower classes as well as professionals may not register.
- Every day, there will be two online lectures of 45 minutes each, one at 10:00 am and another at 12:00 pm.
- The lectures will be streamed live on the IIRS YouTube channel.
- Participating students will be allowed to ask questions through the YouTube Chat Box after a five-minute break post the lecture, and a few questions will be answered by the faculty in the ten minutes question and answer session.
- Students will also have to take a quiz every day, which will be based on the two lectures that are delivered.
- The lectures will also be uploaded on the IIRS LMS portal by 3 pm daily during the course, where students can again see the recorded lectures by logging in to the LMS portal with the credential sent on email while registering for the course,
How to Apply for the ISRO Free Online Course on Remote Sensing Technology
Interested school students will have to apply through the official page before 20 July 2021. The following are some of the details that will be needed while filling the form:
- Name of students, and their parents.
- Date of birth, and gender.
- Mobile number, Aadhaar number and email address of the students.
- Photograph of the student needs to be uploaded in the jpeg format.
- Full name address, email ID, telephone number of the school of the participating students.
- A captcha code will then have to be entered to submit the form successfully.
Once students successfully apply for the course, they will receive login credentials for the learning management system portal on their email address, which is why students must take care to provide the correct email address.
How to Get ISRO Certificate for Free Online Course
Participating students will have to attempt a quiz based on the two lectures delivered every day, which will also be uploaded by 3 pm and will be available until 10 am the next day. An ISRO certificate for the free online course will only be awarded if the total score of the quiz is at least 55% towards the end of the course. Participating students are advised to go through the course brochure in detail before submitting applications.