ISRO is currently accepting applications for a 12-day free online course on Geospatial Technology for Archaeological Studies that is being offered as part of the IIRS outreach programme. The course, which is being conducted from 17 to 28 May 2021, aims at giving participants an idea for geospatial technology can be used to monitor natural disasters. Towards the end of the course, participants will have an understanding of current trends in geospatial techniques for archaeological or heritage studies.
The course will be conducted by the Indian Institute of Remote Sensing, which now has a network of over 2700 institutes that can take this programme. Some of the beneficiaries of this programme could be from the following domains:
- Central, state or private universities and academic institutions.
- Central and state government departments.
- Forest resource professionals.
- State forest departments or forest training academies.
- Research institutes.
- Geospatial industries.
What the ISRO Free Online Course Will Cover?
The course will cover the important aspects of using remote sensing, geographic information system, global positioning systems, and internet mapping services for all phases of disaster management such as hazard mapping, monitoring, risk assessment, emergency response and reconstruction including early warning through the following topics:
- Geospatial technology for archaeology: tools and techniques.
- Space based remote sensing for archaeological studies.
- Ground-based geospatial techniques for archaeological or heritage studies.
- Documentation of cultural heritage sites: case examples.
- Low altitude systems for archaeological investigations.
- Microwave remote sensing for archaeological studies: space and ground-based.
- Demonstration on terrestrial laser scanner.
- Space-based studies for landscape archaeology.
- Advanced image processing based damage assessment of cultural heritage monuments.
How to Apply for ISRO Free Online Course?
Participants need to note that only institutes that are registered with IIRS through a coordinator designated by the institute can take part in the ISRO free online course. The coordinator can get their institute registered on the official website by providing important details such as the name of the organisation, PIN code as well as the coordinator’s personal details.
Once the institute is registered, participants may register for the course by filling up the registration form by providing details like name, email address and password. All the participants have to register online through the registration page by selecting their organisation as the nodal centre.
How Can Apply for ISRO Free Online Course?
The course can be most beneficial for the following participants:
- Professionals from the central, state government or private organizations.
- NGOs engaged in hydro-meteorological based regional and national projects.
- Students and researchers aligned to research or working in disaster risk reduction activities.
How to Get ISRO Certificate?
Upon successfully completing the course, participants will receive an ISRO certificate based on 70% attendance. The coordinator of the respective institute will be responsible for distributing the certificates. Those who wish to know more can go through the course brochure in detail for further information.