ISRO has invited applications from students who are in any year of their under graduation or post graduation for a free online course on “Basics of Remote Sensing, Geographical Information System and Global Navigation Satellite System”. The ISRO free online course will be conducted from 16 August to 26 November 2021. Participants will also receive an ISRO certificate based on 70 percent attendance and 40 percent passing marks.
There is no specific hardware or software that is required to take the classes, and participants can take the course through the E-CLASS platform of the Indian Institute of Remote Sensing (IIRS), ISRO or using IIRS YouTube channel. Suppose participants miss a class, they can access it through the content of the sessions, which will be made available offline after 24 hours in the e-class portal. Apart from students, working professionals may also attend the course.
Who Can Take the ISRO Free Online Course?
IIRS conducts these courses free of cost as the use of remote sensing, geographical information system, global navigation satellite system and associated geospatial technologies is increasing at a fast pace thus creating an urgent demand for trained manpower. The beneficiaries of the course may include:
- Central, state, private universities and academic institutions.
- Central and state government organisations or departments.
- Research Institutes,
- Geospatial Industry.
- Undergraduate and postgraduate students of any year.
- Technical or scientific staff of central or state government, faculty or researchers at university or institutions.
How to Take the ISRO Free Online Course?
Participants have two options, which are they can either opt for the Basics of Remote Sensing, GIS and GNSS comprehensive course consisting of five modules to be conducted from August to 26 November 2021 or they can opt for any three of the following courses:
- Remote sensing and digital image analysis (16 August 2021 to 10 September 2021): Basic principles of remote sensing, earth observation sensors and platforms, spectral signature of different land cover features, image interpretation, thermal and microwave remote sensing, digital image processing: basic concepts of rectification and registration, enhancement, classification and accuracy assessment techniques.
- Global navigation satellite system (13 to 24 September 2021): Introduction to GPS and GNSS, receivers, processing methods, errors and accuracy.
- Geographical Information System (27 September 2021 to 22 October 2021): GIS, databases, topology, spatial analysis and open source software.
- Basics of geocomputation and geoweb services (25 October 2021 to 02 September 2021): Geocomputation and geoweb services.
- RS and GIS applications (8 to 26 November 2021): Agriculture and soil, forestry and ecology, geoscience and geo-hazards, marine and atmospheric sciences, urban and regional studies and water resources.
How to Enroll for ISRO Free Online Course?
Participants can register through their respective institutes or also go for individual registration on the official website. To participate in IIRS Outreach programme the interested organizations, universities, departments, or Institutes has to identify a coordinator at their end. The identified coordinator will register online their Institute as nodal center in IIRS website. Participants has to register online through registration page by selecting their organization as nodal center, and the coordinator will have to approve their participation. At present, their are 10,000 seats available in the comprehensive ISRO free online course, and 5000 seats in the individual modules; therefore, candidates will be admitted on a first come first serve basis. Applicants are advised to go through the course brochure in detail for further information.