ISRO is offering a free online course on space science, technology and applications for students who have completed 8th standard
ISRO has announced a free online course especially for students who are interested to learn about the impact of space science and technology on the societal and economic development of the country. The course called “overview of space science, technology and applications” is being offered as part of the Antriksh Jigyasa initiative of the Indian Space Research Organisation launched for school students to encourage them to study about space science.
The course will be conducted by eminent scientists from ISRO, and will mainly cover how data and information generated using the space missions launched by ISRO can be utilised for developmental activities such as planning and decision making in the areas of earth observations, satellite communications, navigations, weather forecasting, tele-medicine, environmental and climate studies, agriculture, food and water security, and disaster management among others.
What the ISRO Free Online Course Will Cover?
The course basically aims at getting students enticed about space science and technology, and help them build a career in this advancing domain. A list of topics that will be covered are as follows:
- Space technology and Indian space program.
- Spacecraft systems.
- Satellite communication and navigation technology.
- Astronomy and space science.
- Satellite meteorology and its applications.
- Planetary geoscience.
- Satellite based Earth observations and remote sensing technology.
- Remote sensing applications in governance.
- Close range photogrammetry for urban heritage studies.
- Online learning resources and career opportunity in geospatial technologies.
- Experiment: Reading satellite imageries for information extraction, and geodata access from online data repositories and problem solving using geographical information system.
Who Can Take the ISRO Free Online Course?
The course can be taken up by students with basic aptitude for science. ISRO mentions that the course is open to the following participants:
- School students of India and abroad.
- Students of class 8th onwards.
Those who wish to know more about the course are advised to go through the official website for further information.