ISRO has invited applications from interested students and professionals for a free online course on Lunar Remote Sensing and its Applications, which is being offered through the Indian Institute of Remote Sensing (IIRS). It is a one-day free online course that will be conducted on 12 May 2021. All participants will also receive a certificate from ISRO based on 70 percent attendance.
The course aims at giving participants an overview of the theory and techniques of remote sensing of the Moon and their applications in analyzing lunar surface characteristics and its geology with special emphasis on Indian lunar missions. This workshop is being conducted as the Moon provides an understanding of various terrestrial planets.
Who can Apply for the ISRO Free Online Course?
The participants can be students of final year undergraduate course or postgraduate course, technical or scientific staff of Central or State Government, and faculty or researchers at university or institutions are also eligible to apply for this course. Applications for the course will have to be forwarded through the designated coordinators of the institute.
What the ISRO Free Online Course will Cover?
The following topics will be covered throughout the day:
- Overview of lunar remote sensing.
- Reflectance spectroscopy and detection of endogenic water on the Moon: Examples from recent lunar Missions.
- Mg-Spinel mineralogy on the Moon.
- Recent advances in radar exploration of the Moon.
- Lunar South Pole Aitken basin – understanding mantle geochemistry remotely.
- Chandrayaan-2 Imaging Infrared spectrometer (IIRS): Some initial results for mineral analysis.
How to Apply for ISRO Free Online Course?
To apply for the ISRO free online course being offered as part of the IIRS Outreach Programme, interested organisations have to take the following steps:
- Identify a coordinator who will be responsible for providing information related to the course.
- All the participants have to register online through the registration page by selecting their organization as the nodal center.
Those who wish to know more about the course can go through the official brochure for all other information.