ISRO is offering a free online course called "Space Technology and its Applications” for school teachers. The course is being offered as the data and information generated using Space Science and technologies are very important for socio- economic development of the society, and awareness and capacity building of school teachers on use of space technology and its application is needed. School teachers who successfully complete the course will be given certificates from ISRO.
Topics to be Covered in the ISRO Free Online Course
The course, intended at teachers in the domain of science, mathematics or geography, will cover the following topics:
- Space technology and Indian space program.
- Spacecraft systems.
- Satellite communication and navigation technology and its applications.
- Satellite meteorology and weather applications.
- Planetary science.
- Astronomy and space science.
- Satellite based Earth observations and remote sensing technology.
- Remote sensing applications in governance.
Apart from these topics, teachers will get to do experiments on reading satellite imageries for information extraction and geodata access from online data repositories and problem solving using geographical information system.
Important Details of the ISRO Free Online Course
Interested teachers will have to undertake the following steps to participate in the course:
- Participants need to create an account on the IIRS e-learning website and activate it through an email link.
- An online application form will have to be filled out and a proof of employment will also have to be submitted.
- IIRS will review the submitted applications and approve eligible ones.
- Upon approval, the participant will receive an admission email containing login credentials for the IIRS E-CLASS platform.
- Selected teachers will then have to follow the published course schedule and join the daily sessions. The system will automatically record attendance.
- A course feedback will also have to be submitted by using the link available on the E-CLASS platform.
Participants who achieve a minimum attendance of 60% will be honored with a course participation certificate from IIRS-ISRO. The certificate will be sent to the participant through email.