Former chief minister of Delhi Sheila Dikshit passed away a few hours ago in New Delhi. The three time chief minister of Delhi and Congress veteran was 81 years of age, and the reason for her death is a cardiac arrest, as per reports. She was recently appointed as president of Delhi Pradesh Congress Committee.
Condolence messages mourning the death of the former chief minister of Delhi are pouring in on Twitter. “Deeply saddened by the demise of Sheila Dikshit Ji. Blessed with a warm and affable personality, she made a noteworthy contribution to Delhi’s development. Condolences to her family and supporters. Om Shanti,” tweeted prime minister Narendra Modi.
“The passing away of former Chief Minister of Delhi, Smt. Sheila Dixit is deeply saddening. She was a tall Congress leader known for her congenial nature. Sheilaji was widely respected cutting across party lines. My thoughts are with her bereaved family & supporters. Om Shanti,” tweeted defence minister Rajnath Singh.
Unique Initiatives by Sheila Dikshit
Several citizens are of the view that Delhi underwent a transformation under the Sheila Dikshit tenure of 15 years. Here are some of the notable measures undertaken by her as per various reports, and users on Quora:
- Introduction of the bhagidari (partnership) system with residents’ associations of Delhi in governnace decisions helped set right several problems that plague Delhi such as pollution, encroachments, traffic chaos and more.
- Introduction of Bus rapid transit (BRT).
- Improved the infrastructure of Delhi with over 70 flyovers.
- Improved the pollution levels in Delhi by converting 65,000 vehicles to the CNG (compressed natural gas) mode.
- Privatisation of power distribution system.
- Sheila Dikshit also took several measures towards the proliferation of Delhi Metro.