IIT Roorkee is offering a free online course on Global Navigation Satellite Systems and Applications on the NPTEL platform this time for interested participants. The course, which is 4 weeks long, provides a basic understanding of digital elevation models (DEMs) and their applications in Civil Engineering and Earth Sciences. Participants will also be given insights into various DEMs, their source, generation techniques, derivatives, errors and limitations.
The course will be conducted by Dr. Arun K. Saraf who has a PhD in Remote Sensing from the University of Dundee, United Kingdom. He is currently working as a professor in the Department of Earth Sciences at the Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee. He takes courses on remote sensing, digital image processing, geographic information systems (GIS), advanced GIS, geomorphology, geohydrology, and other related topics for students.
Who Can Take the IIT Roorkee Free Online Course on Global Navigation Satellite Systems?
While the course is open to anyone with a basic knowledge of geographic information systems and remote sensing who is interested, it is most suited for the following participants:
- Current undergraduate and post-graduate students of engineering.
- Postgraduate science students.
- PhD students and researchers.
Contents of the course can be useful to secure work at several geoinformatics companies across the country.
What the IIT Roorkee Free Online Course on Global Navigation Satellite Systems Will Cover
The course will provide highlight about the digital elevation models, and various aspects related to it through the following topics:
- Introduction to global navigation satellite system (GNSS), and NAVSTAR, which is a global positioning system.
- Global navigation satellite system (GLONASS), BeiDou navigation satellite system (BDS), Indian regional navigation satellite system (IRNSS), GALILEO, and Quasi-Zenith Satellite System (QZSS).
- Differential global navigation satellite system (DGNSS), real-time kinematic (RTK), satellite-based augmentation system (SBAS), GNSS Errors, and GNSS correction methods.
- Why altitude estimated by GNSS receivers is not very accurate.
- Current and future trends in the global navigation satellite system, and opportunities in India.
Important Dates and How to Enroll for the IIT Roorkee Free Online Course on Global Navigation Satellite Systems
The course will begin on 26 July 2021 and will end on 20 August 2021. The registrations are currently open and interested participants may enroll until 2 August 2021 by registering with the SWAYAM platform through their Microsoft, Facebook or Google accounts, or by creating a SWAYAM account using their email address. While taking the course is free, certification for the course will be provided if participants opt for an examination which will be conducted on 26 September 2021 by paying Rs 1000. Those who wish to know more about the course are advised to visit the official website: https://onlinecourses.nptel.ac.in/noc21_ce77/preview