IIT Roorkee has announced the launch of seven new academic programmes in select areas of engineering, architecture, economics, and management along with specialization in Data Science and Artificial Intelligence to cater to the rising demand for new-age technologies. The programmes, which include six postgraduate degree programs and one five-year integrated program, would be offered to students from the next autumn session, which is 2021-2022.
Professor Ashutosh Sharma, Secretary, Department of Science and Technology (DST) said at the launch of these courses: “The new programmes involve the transmission of relevant knowledge and using the knowledge we produce. They are inter-disciplinary and multi-disciplinary and also in line with National Education Policy 2020. Their launch shows that we are on to breaking some of the silos that we have historically created.”
He also hoped that these programmes would help students and working professionals add value to their respective fields. “New Initiatives of this kind separate the leaders from followers, and I am delighted to hear about the outlines and philosophy of the programmes,” he said while inaugurating the new programmes at the oldest technical institution of the country in an online ceremony on 30 July 2021.
Prof. Ajit K Chaturvedi, director, IIT Roorkee, expressed confidence that these new programmes would fulfil the demand of future technologies in higher education. “All these new academic programs address the needs of our country. They have been created after careful deliberations at several levels,” he pointed out. Several other dignitaries of the institute were also present on the occasion of the launch of these new programmes.
Names of New IIT Roorkee Degrees with Specialization in Data Science and Artificial Intelligence
The new courses aim at facilitating quality education in new and emerging areas that are becoming more and more relevant today. The names of the new degrees are as follows:
- MTech in Artificial Intelligence and MTech in Data Science) under the Centre for Artificial Intelligence, Data Science (CAIDS).
- MDes in Industrial Design, and MIM (Masters in Innovation Management) under the Department of Design.
- Online MTech in Microelectronics and VLSI for working industry professionals under the Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering.
- MS Economics, which is a five year integrated program, under the Department of Humanities and Social Sciences.
- MTech in Dam Safety and Rehabilitation under the proposed International Centre for Dams, which is currently coordinated by the Department of Hydrology.
BVR Mohan Reddy, chairman, Board of Governors, IIT Roorkee, who was present during the launch, hoped that these new programs would change the mindset towards learning by making it more flexible, accessible, and a life-long process. “We are also aiming for Atma Nirbhar Bharat, and so new areas with a new approach to learning is important, innovation is an integral part of our future, as is entrepreneurship. I recommend entrepreneurship programs to make sure we have a lot more job creators.”