IIT Madras has invited applications for a free online course called “Electric Vehicles and Renewable Energy” on the SWAYAM NPTEL platform. The participants of the 12-week long course will receive an understanding of the fundamentals of Electric Vehicles (EVs) and Renewable Energy, especially in the Indian context. The AICTE approved FDP course also carries three credit points, which could be beneficial for students.
The course will be conducted by Ashok Jhunjhunwala, a professor at IIT Madras who has done his BTech degree from IIT Kanpur and MS and PhD from University of Maine, USA and was a faculty at Washington State University, USA for a year and a half before joining as a faculty at IIT Madras in 1981. Apart from professor Jhunjhunwala, professors Kaushal Jha, L Kannan, and Prabhjot Kaur will also be conducting classes.
What the IIT Madras Free Online Course on Electric Vehicles Will Cover?
Participants of the course will be taught key topics surrounding electric vehicles and renewable energy, which are as follows:
- Overview of electric vehicles in India.
- Vehicle dynamics.
- Vehicle subsystems: EV power-train.
- Storage for electric vehicles.
- Fundamentals of EV battery pack design.
- EV motors and controllers: Fundamentals and design.
- Vehicle accessories.
- Battery charging and swapping.
- Introduction to energy scenario in India.
- Solar and wind energy in India: Economics of centralized generation.
- Decentralized Solar energy generation.
- Storage options for energy.
Who Can Participate in the IIT Madras Free Online Course on Electric Vehicles?
While the course is open to all interested students and professionals it could be most beneficial for BTech fourth year, MTech, MS, PhD or working professionals from the following streams:
- Electrical engineering.
- Electronics and communication engineering.
- Mechanical engineering.
- Engineering design.
- Aerospace engineering students interested in electric vehicles.
How to Enroll for IIT Madras Free Online Course on Electric Vehicles?
Interested participants will have to enroll for the course on the official website before 2 August 2021 using their SWAYAM, Microsoft, Facebook or Google accounts. The course will be conducted from 26 July to 15 October 2021. To obtain e-certificates with logos of NPTEL and IIT Madras, participants will have to pay Rs 1000 and then clear an examination that will be held on 24 October 2021. Only the e-certificate will be made available, and hard copies will not be dispatched.