IIT Madras has invited registrations from interested learners for a free online course on Data Science for Engineers on the National Programme on Technology Enhanced Learning (NPTEL) platform. The course is open to any interested learners but could be highly beneficial for undergraduate and postgraduate students from computer science and engineering, data science or programming background.
The course will be conducted from 27 July to 17 September 2021 by IIT Madras faculty Prof Rengaswamy who earlier was a professor of chemical engineering and co-director of the process control and optimization consortium at Texas Tech University, Lubbock, USA, and associate professor at Clarkson University, USA and an assistant professor at IIT Bombay. The course will also be conducted by Prof Shankar Narasimhan who is currently a professor in the department of chemical engineering at IIT Madras. Those who wish to obtain certificates from IIT Madras and NPTEL will have to pay Rs 1000 and take an examination on 26 September 2021.
What the IIT Madras Free Online Course on Data Science for Engineers Will Cover?
IIT Madras aims at achieving the following learning outcomes through the free online course on data science:
- Describe a flow process for data science problems.
- Classify data science problems into standard typology.
- Develop R codes for data science solutions.
- Correlate results to the solution approach followed.
- Assess the solution approach.
- Construct use cases to validate the approach and identify modifications required.
Some of the topics that will be covered as part of the course as follows:
- Course philosophy and introduction to R.
- Linear algebra for data science.
- Typology of data science problems and a solution framework.
- Simple linear regression and verifying assumptions used in linear regression, and multivariate linear regression, model assessment, assessing the importance of different variables, subset selection.
- Classification using logistic regression.
- Classification using kNN and k-means clustering.
How To Enroll and Obtain Certificates
Interested learners will have to enroll before 2 August 2021. Criteria to receive certificates is as follows:
- Average assignment score = 25% of the average of the best 6 assignments out of the total 8 assignments given in the course.
- Exam score = 75% of the proctored certification exam score out of 100.
- Final score = Average assignment score + Exam score.
Those who wish to know more about the course and then enroll are advised to visit the official website: https://onlinecourses.nptel.ac.in/noc21_cs69/preview