IIT Madras has invited applications for a free online course called “Artificial Intelligence : Search Methods For Problem solving”
IIT Madras has announced a free online course on artificial intelligence for students and interested professionals. IIT Madras says that while the intended audience is both undergraduate and postgraduate students studying computer science, anyone comfortable with talking about algorithms should be able to do the course. The course will be conducted from 25 July to 14 October 2022, and those who wish to apply will have to enrol through the NPTEL platform before 1 August 2022.
The course will be conducted by Deepak Khemani who is a professor at the Department of Computer Science and Engineering, IIT Madras. He completed his BTech in 1980 in Mechanical Engineering, MTech in 1983 and PhD in 1989 in Computer Science from IIT Bombay. The professor has research experience in the domains of memory based reasoning, knowledge representation and reasoning, planning and constraint satisfaction, qualitative reasoning and natural language processing.
What the IIT Madras Free Online Course Will Cover
The course basically aims at giving participants an insight into the wide variety of search methods that agents can employ for problem solving. Some of the topics that will be covered are as follows:
- History: Can machines think?, Turing Test, Winograd Schema Challenge, Language and Thought, Wheels and Gears.
- Philosophy, Mind, Reasoning, Computation, Dartmouth Conference, The Chess Saga, Epiphenomena.
- State Space Search: Depth First Search, Breadth First Search, Depth First Iterative Deepening.
- Heuristic Search: Best First Search, Hill Climbing, Solution Space, TSP, Escaping Local Optima, Stochastic Local Search.
- Population Based Methods: Genetic Algorithms, SAT, TSP, emergent Systems, Ant Colony Optimization.
- Game Playing: Game Theory, Board Games and Game Trees, Algorithm Minimax, AlphaBeta and SSS.
- Automated Planning: Domain Independent Planning, Blocks World, Forward &Backward Search, Goal Stack Planning, Plan Space Planning.
Certificates for IIT Madras Free Online Course
While the course is free to take, those who wish to obtain certificates will have to pay Rs 1000 and take an examination on the designated place and date. Certificates will be given to candidates who obtain 25% of average of best 8 assignments out of the total 12 assignments given in the course, and 75% of the proctored certification exam score out of 100. Those who wish to apply are advised to go through the official website for further information.