IIT Kharagpur has invited applications for a free online course on introduction to machine learning this time on the SWAYAM NPTEL platform. The 8-week long course will be conducted from 26 July to 17 September 2021. While the course is free to take, to get a certificate from IIT Kharagpur and NPTEL, participants will have to pay Rs 1000 and take an examination on 26 September 2021. The course also carries two credit points, which can be beneficial for engineering students.
The course will be conducted by professor Sudeshna Sarkar who is a professor and currently the head in the department of computer science and engineering at the Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur. The professor completed her BTech in 1989 from IIT Kharagpur, MS from University of California, Berkeley, and PhD from IIT Kharagpur in 1995, and her research interests are machine learning, natural language processing, data and text mining.
What the IIT Kharagpur Free Online Course on Machine Learning Will Cover
The course will introduce participants to the basics of computational learning theory, and the various issues related to the application of machine learning algorithms will also be discussed. Furthermore, the course will be accompanied by hands-on problem solving with programming in Python and some tutorial sessions. The following are the topics that will be covered over a period of 12 weeks:
- Introduction: Basic definitions, types of learning, hypothesis space and inductive bias, evaluation, cross-validation.
- Linear regression, Decision trees, and overfitting.
- Instance-based learning, Feature reduction, and Collaborative filtering-based recommendation.
- Probability and Bayes learning.
- Logistic Regression, Support Vector Machine, Kernel function and Kernel SVM.
- Neural network: Perceptron, multilayer network, backpropagation, and introduction to deep neural network.
- Computational learning theory, PAC learning model, Sample complexity, VC Dimension, and Ensemble learning.
- Clustering: k-means, adaptive hierarchical clustering, and Gaussian mixture model.
Who Can Apply for the IIT Kharagpur Free Online Course on Machine Learning
While the course is open to all participants, it could be most beneficial for students and professionals from the following domains:
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Artificial Intelligence
- Data Science
It also serves an elective course for undergraduate, postgraduate, BE, ME, MS, MSc and PhD students.
How to Enroll for the IIT Kharagpur Free Online Course on Machine Learning
Interested participants will have to enroll in the course by clicking on the Join button available on the official website before 2 August 2021. Prior to that, participants will have to first sign into the SWAYAM NPTEL platform using their Microsoft, Facebook or Google accounts. Furthermore, an option to login using the SWAYAM account is also available. SWAYAM account can be created by registering with the platform by entering the username, password, email address, and then verifying the account. As far as the certificate for the course is concerned, announcements will be made when the registration form is open for submission, and the online registration form has to be then filled and the certification exam fee needs to be paid.