IIT Kharagpur is this time offering a free online course on Internet of Things through NPTEL, which is intended for undergraduate and postgraduate students doing their computer science engineering, information technology, electronics and communication engineering, electrical engineering, instrumentation engineering, and industrial engineering.
The course will be conducted by Prof Sudip Misra who is a professor at the Department of Computer Science and Engineering at the Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur. The professor has been associated with prestigious institutions such as Cornell University, Yale University, Nortel Networks and the Government of Ontario. His current research interests include Wireless Ad hoc and sensor networks, IoT, computer networks, learning systems, and algorithm design for emerging communication networks.
What Will Be Taught in the IIT Kharagpur Free Online Course on Internet of Things
The course aims at introducing learners to the fundamentals of Internet of Things as it is an emerging technology that has widespread applications in agriculture, space, healthcare, manufacturing, construction, water, and mining. Some of the concepts that students will be introduced to over the 12-week long course are as follows:
- Introduction to IoT: Part I, Part II, Sensing, Actuation, Basics of Networking: Part-I
- Basics of Networking: Part-II, Part III, Part IV, Communication Protocols: Part I, Part II
- Communication Protocols: Part III, Part IV, Part V, Sensor Networks: Part I, Part II
- Sensor Networks: Part III, Part IV, Part V, Part VI, Machine-to-Machine Communications
- Interoperability in IoT, Introduction to Arduino Programming: Part I, Part II, Integration of Sensors and Actuators with Arduino: Part I, Part II
- Introduction to Python programming, Introduction to Raspberry Pi, Implementation of IoT with Raspberry Pi
- Implementation of IoT with Raspberry Pi (contd), Introduction to SDN, SDN for IoT
- SDN for IoT (contd), Data Handling and Analytics, Cloud Computing, and so on.
How to Enroll and Obtain Certificate from IIT Kharagpur?
Students would be required to enroll on the official NPTEL platform before 25 January 2021, while the course will be conducted from 18 January to 9 April 2021. While taking the course is free, to obtain a certificate from IIT Kharagpur and NPTEL, participants will have to pay Rs 1000 and take an examination on 24 April 2021. Those who wish to know more about the course are advised to go through the official website for more information.