IIT Kharagpur, an institute of national importance, has invited applications from interested students and professionals for a free online course on introduction to Internet of Things, which can be completed in 12 weeks. The course is being offered by the NPTEL platform and is AICTE FDP approved. The course is of the undergraduate level, and participants would be required to have a basic knowledge of programming to understand the course.
The course will be conducted by Dr. Sudip Misra who is a Professor in the department of computer science and engineering at IIT Kharagpur. His current research interests include Wireless Ad Hoc and Sensor Networks, Internet of Things (IoT), Computer Networks, Learning Systems, and algorithm design for emerging communication networks. Participants can also obtain certificates after taking an examination after paying Rs 1000, and the course also carries three credit points.
What the IIT Kharagpur Free Online Course on Internet of Things Will Cover?
The IIT Kharagpur course aims at introducing participants to the technology as IoT will be applied across all major domains in the days to come. The technology cuts across different application domain verticals ranging from agriculture, space, healthcare, manufacturing, construction, water, and mining. Some of the topics that will be covered under the course are as follows:
- Introduction to IoT: Sensing, actuation, and basics of networking.
- Basics of networking: Communication protocols.
- Communication protocols: Sensor networks.
- Sensor networks: Machine-to-machine communications.
- Interoperability in IoT, introduction to Arduino Programming: Integration of sensors and actuators with Arduino.
- Introduction to Python programming, introduction to Raspberry Pi, implementation of IoT with Raspberry Pi.
- Introduction to SDN, SDN for IoT.
- Data Handling and analytics, cloud computing, sensor-cloud, fog computing, smart cities and smart homes, connected vehicles, smart grid, and industrial IoT.
- Case Study: Agriculture, healthcare, and activity monitoring.
Important Details About IIT Kharagpur Free Online Course on Internet of Things
The course will be conducted from 26 July to 15 October 2021, and the examination for certification will be conducted on 24 October 2021 in two batches namely morning session 9am to 12 noon, and afternoon Session 2pm to 5pm. The last date to enroll for the course is 2 August 2021. Interested participants may apply for the course by clicking on the Join button on the official page after signing into the SWAYAM platform using their Microsoft, Facebook, Google or SWAYAM accounts.