IIT Kharagpur is offering a free online course on 5G technology on the Swayam NPTEL platform. The course called “Evolution of Air Interface Towards 5G” can be completed in 8 weeks. The course basically explains the the contents of air interface for 5G like 3G’s was CDMA based, and 4G’s was OFDMA based. The course would be most suitable of undergraduate and postgraduate students as it provides practicing engineers an opportunity as well as carries 2 credit points.
The course will be conducted by Dr Suvra Sekhar Das who is currently serving as an associate professor at the GS Sanyal School of Telecommunications in the Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur. The professor has obtained a PhD from Aalborg University, Aalborg, Denmark, and has worked as a senior scientist with the Innovation Laboratory of Tata Consultancy Services.
What the IIT Kharagpur Free Online Course on 5G Will Cover?
Participants who wish to take the course will need to have basic knowledge of digital, mobile and wireless communications. Some of the topics that will be covered are as follows:
- Overview of 5G communication technology, operating scenarios, mm wave technology, and propagation models.
- Waveform in 5G, W-OFDM, F-OFDM, UFMC, FBMC, GFDM, and adaptive OFDM.
- Modulation and coding in 5G.
- Propagation characteristics of 5G channel models.
- MIMO communication essentials.
- Massive MIMO in 5G, massive MIMO, pilot contamination, and beam forming.
- Heterogeneous ultra dense networks in 5G such as small cells, D2D, and MIMO-NOMA.
- Ubiquitous quality of service provisioning for real time traffic.
Who Can Take the Free Online Course on 5G?
The course is open to anyone interested but would be most suitable for the following participants:
- Senior undergraduate students.
- Graduate level students.
- MS and PhD students.
- Practicing engineers in the domain of wireless communications.
Basically anyone who is interested in the broad domain of telecommunications engineering who are interested to work further or even gather the latest developments in the domain of wireless communication technology leading to 5G air interface can take the course.
Other Important Details of the IIT Kharagpur Free Online Course
Participants of the course need to know that while the course is free, the e-certificate for the same can be obtained by paying Rs 1000 and taking an examination to be conducted in person at NPTEL centres. Students will have to successfully complete and pass the examination, and also submit assignments throughout the course. Only e-certificates will be given with logos of IIT Kharagpur and NPTEL and no hard copies will be sent to participants of the course. Those who wish to take the course are advised to go through the official website for more information.
Leave a Reply