IIT Kharagpur has announced Honoris Causa and Life Fellow awards which will to be conferred to 6 pre-eminent personalities later this month. The awards, which are recommended by the Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur to honour luminaries who have excelled in areas of relevance to the institute’s vision, will be conferred on 66th Convocation event of IIT Kharagpur.
Prof. Virendra Kumar Tewari, director, IIT Kharagpur, said: “We are glad to confer these awards and hope to felicitate these luminaries in person on the occasion of the 66th Convocation of the Institute, to be held later this month, which will be live telecasted globally. They resonate with the mission statement of IIT Kharagpur, dedicated to the service of the nation, aimed to achieve a greater good for the country. Each of them is the personification of our motto YogaH Karmasu Kaushalam, which you can observe in their imprint as professionals and human self.
Names of the IIT Kharagpur Honoris Causa and Life Fellow Awardees
The Institute will confer Honoris Causa, as per approval by the President of India, to the following dignitaries:
- Vinod Gupta, distinguished alumnus and philanthropist, US-based entrepreneur and former ambassador.
- Swami Atmapriyananda Maharaj, monk of the Ramakrishna Order and former vice-chancellor, Ramakrishna Mission Vivekananda Educational and Research Institute (RKMVERI).
- Randeep Guleria, director, All India Institute Of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New Delhi.
- Elattuvalapil Sreedharan, former managing director of Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) popularly known as the “Metro Man”.
Also, the institute will present its Life Fellow awards to the following notable personalities in acknowledgment of their contribution to academics, social service and public welfare:
- Ranbir Singh Gupta, renowned architect, distinguished alumnus, US-based entrepreneur and philanthropist.
- Mahan Mj (Swami Vidyanathananda), monk of the Ramakrishna Order and eminent mathematician and Professor at the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai.