IIT Kanpur is offering a free online course on computational science in engineering, which is an AICTE approved FDP course available on the NPTEL platform. The course, which can be taken by anyone, is especially aimed at the freshman or sophomore undergraduate students and postgraduate students of aerospace, mechanical, chemical or civil engineering who are well versed with the basics of mathematics and programming.
The free online course will be conducted by Dr Ashoke De who is currently working as an associate professor in the Department of Aerospace Engineering at IIT Kanpur. The professor’s primary research focus is the emerging field of computational mechanics with a particular interest in combustion and turbulent flows, and he also has authored over 130 peer-reviewed articles in journals and conferences.
What the IIT Kanpur Free Online Course on Computational Science in Engineering Will Cover
The course aims at equipping learners with knowledge on fundamentals of scientific computing, with short codes to implement the key concepts among others. The 8-week long course will cover the following topics:
- Linear algebra: Introduction to vectors, vector spaces and subspaces, and solving linear systems
- Linear algebra: Orthogonality, Determinants, Eigenvalues and Eigen vectors, and SVD.
- Ordinary differential equations: ODE, homogeneous and non-homogeneous ODEs, second order linear ODE, and higher order ODEs.
- Solution of higher order ODEs, Fourier Analysis, Fourier Integrals and Laplace Transforms.
- Partial differential equations: Classification, 1D & 2D equations, BC, 2nd order PDEs.
- Basis of numerical analysis, errors, stability, Interpolation and extrapolation.
- System of linear algebraic equations and Eigenvalue problems: Direct methods, Iterative methods, convergence analysis, Eigenvalues and Eigenvectors, bounds on Eigenvalues, methods for symmetric matrices and arbitrary matrices.
- Solution of ODEs: Difference equation, Numerical methods, convergence, stability, Single step and multistep methods, Predictor-corrector methods, stability analysis of multistep methods, IVP (shooting methods), and BVP (methods and solutions).
Important Dates with Regard to IIT Kanpur Free Online Course
The course begins on 15 February 2021, therefore interested candidates will have to enroll before that. The course will end on 9 April 2021, and while taking the course is free, students will have to pay Rs 1000 and taken an examination on 24 April 2021 to obtain certificates with IIT Kanpur and NPTEL logos. To know more, interested candidates are advised to visit the official website and then join the course.