IIT Bombay is currently accepting registrations for a free online course on Quantum Mechanics on the SWAYAM NPTEL portal. The course, which is free for everyone, is specially intended for students dong their BTech in engineering physics, BTech in electrical engineering, MSc in physics, and MSc in five years integrated chemistry. Participants are required to have done the sophomore course on quantum physics and applications where Schrodinger equation, wave function and expectation values are taught.
The course will be conducted by P Ramadevi who is a professor at the Department of Physics at IIT Bombay. Her research interests include Chern-Simons field theory, Knot invariants, Topological strings, and Supersymmetric field theories. “My field of research is mathematical physics. I have been working on knot invariants from Chern-Simons theory and topological strings,” she says on the NPTEL platform.
What Participants will Learn from IIT Bombay Free Online Course on Quantum Mechanics
The 12 week-long course, which will be conducted from 18 January to 9 April 2021, is a first-level course in the Dirac’s bra(ket) notation, which will set the foundation to take up advanced level courses. Some of the topics that will be covered under the course are as follows:
- Introduction to Quantum Mechanics-I, Introduction to Quantum Mechanics-II, Review of Particle in Box, Potential Well, Barrier, Harmonic Oscillator-I, Review of Particle in Box, Potential Well, Barrier, Harmonic Oscillator-II
- Bound States-I, Bound States-II, Conditions and Solutions for One Dimensional Bound States - I, Conditions and Solutions for One Dimensional Bound States - II
- Linear Vector Space (LVS) - I, Linear Vector Space (LVS) - II, Linear Vector Space (LVS) - III, Basis for Operators and States in LVS – I
- Function Spaces - I, Function Spaces - II, Postulates of Quantum Mechanics - I, Postulates of Quantum Mechanics – II
- Classical Vs Quantum Mechanics - I, Classical Vs Quantum Mechanics - II, Compatible Vs Incompatible Observables - I, Compatible Vs Incompatible Observables – II, and so on.
How to Enroll for IIT Bombay Free Online Course on Quantum Mechanics
Interested participants will have to enroll on the official website before 25 January 2021, and to receive certificates with logos of IIT Bombay and NPTEL, participants will have to pay Rs 1000 and take an examination that will be conducted on 25 April 2021. Those who wish to know more about the course, and enroll for the same are advised to go through the official website for more information.