IIT Bombay has announced an online course on machine learning to help students gain knowledge on bandit algorithms. The course, called Bandit Algorithm (Online Machine Learning), is being offered on the SWAYAM NPTEL platform. While the course is free to enroll and learn from, participants who wish to receive a certificate will have to pay Rs 1000 and clear an examination that will be conducted at NPTEL centres in person.
The course is being conducted by IIT Bombay professor Manjesh K Hanawal, who has an MS degree in electronics and communication engineering from the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore and PhD degree from INRIA, Sophia Antipolis, France, and the University of Avignon, France. He is also the recipient of Inspire Faculty Award from DST and Early Career Research Award from SERB. The course can be completed in 12 weeks.
What the IIT Bombay Course on Machine Learning Will Cover?
Participants who enroll for the course will be given an understanding of bandit algorithms that balance exploration and exploitation well in various random environment. Some of the topics that will be covered are as follows:
- Introduction to bandit algorithms.
- Adversarial setting with full information and bandit information.
- Regret lower bounds for adversarial setting.
- Introduction to stochastic setting and various regret notions.
- Algorithms for pure explorations.
- Stochastic bandit algorithms.
Who Can Take the IIT Bombay Course on Machine Learning?
While the course is open to anyone interested, it would be most suitable for postgraduate students from the following streams:
- Computer science.
- Electrical engineering.
- Operations research.
Participants will need to have knowledge on the basics of probability theory and optimization.
Important Details of the IIT Bombay Course on Machine Learning?
Participants who wish to take the course may also go through the following important details:
- The course will be conducted for 24 July to 13 October 2023.
- The last date to enroll for the course would be 31 July 2023.
- The course also carries 3 credit points, which students may submit in their respective colleges.
- The exam to obtain the course certificate will be conducted on 28 October 2023.
- Only e-certificates will be dispatched and hard copies will not be provided.
Those who wish to take the course are advised to go through the official website for more information.