The Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology (IIST) that was setup by the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) under the Department of Space, Government of India, is looking to hire engineering freshers for research positions. There are a total of 5 research positions out of which 3 are for junior research fellows, one senior project fellow, and one junior project fellow. What is noteworthy is the JRF positions are also eligible to be converted into a PhD position in IIST, subject to conditions.
IIST has provided one satellite for the PSLV-C45 mission successfully launched by ISRO on 1 April 2019. The satellite called Advanced Retarding Potential Analyzer for Ionospheric Studies (ARIS) was designed to study the structure and composition of the ionosphere.
Who is Eligible for the IIST Jobs?
For the 3 positions of Junior Research Fellow candidates are required to have the following qualifications:
- For the first project, candidates holding MSc in Physics / Astrophysics / Astronomy / Space Science or (ii) BS/MS in Physics or equivalent or (iii) M.\S in Astronomy and Astrophysics or (iv) BE/BTech / ME / MTech degree (any branch) with UGC-CSIR National Eligibility Test in Physical Sciences or GATE / JEST score in Physics can apply.
- For the second project, candidates with MS / MSc in Physics / Electronics / Space Physics / Space Sciences or related areas can apply. The IIST website mentions that candidates having a knowledge of vacuum technology, charged particle detector electronics and pulse processing would have an added advantage. Also, a written test would be conducted for candidates who do not have a UGC-CSIR National Eligibility Test in Physical Sciences or GATE / JEST score, the syllabus for which has been given in the notification.
- For the third JRF position candidates who have completed ME / MTech / MS by research or equivalent in Electronics/ Communication / Electrical and Electronics/ Electronics and Communication / Communication Networks / Telecommunication / Signal Processing / Machine Learning / Computer Science/ Control Systems / System Science / Data Analysis or related areas are eligible to apply. The notification also mentions that the Master’s Degree in Engineering or Technology should have been pursued on the basis of qualified GATE score. What is also desirable is one year industry experience and good demonstrable programming skills in C/C++/Python/Matlab and / or good demonstrable mathematical and analytical skills. The link for the syllabus for the written test has been provided in the notification.
Junior research fellows are eligible for a salary of Rs 25,000 plus house rent allowance.
- For the SPF position candidates with an ME / MTech in Power Electronics / Industrial Electronics / Control Systems / Electrical Engineering or related areas with Power Electronics as a core course can apply. Experience in building power electronics based systems would be an added advantage. The senior project fellow is eligible for a salary of Rs 22,000.
- For the JPF position the interested candidates are required to have BE / BTech in Electronics or related areas with a sound knowledge in semiconductor physics as well as experience in 2D materials. The junior project fellow is eligible for a salary of Rs 20,000.
How to Apply for the IIST Jobs Online
Indian nationals, who have the above mentioned degrees in first class, can apply for the said jobs online from tomorrow 18 April onwards. Candidates are required to upload the relevant mark sheets and the Degree or post graduate certificates at the time of registering the online application. The link for online application would be available from 18 April 2019 4 pm onwards to 6 May 2019 5pm on the official IIST website.
Shortlisted candidates would be called for an interview, the list for which will be announced on 16 May 2019. Outstation candidates called for interview will be paid back and forth second class railway fare by the shortest route including reservation / sleeper charges on production of proof of journey, says the notification. Interested candidates with the desired qualification could take a look at the detailed notification on the official IIST website and then apply for the research positions.