THYSSENKRUPP INDIA | MANUFACTURING
RAJESH PANDITA, INDIA REGION HEAD – GP & IT
Heading: Vendors need to Think from a CIO’s perspective
THE IT ORGANIZATION
Over 3000 IT staff globally with Group CIO based at HQ’s in Germany. Currently, 5 distinct Business verticals (Steel, Components Technology, Materials, Elevators, and Industrial Solutions) each headed by a CIO with matrix reporting into Group CIO, however, all are members of the CIO Council. Company Operations spread across 80 countries and divided into 6 Regions; India is one of the 6 regions with Regional HQ’s in Mumbai.
As a Regional Head – GP & IT and a nominee of Group CIO in the region, I oversee Strategy, Governance, Technology, Security, and Compliance across 10+ legal entities that belong to 5 separate Business verticals as illustrated above. I am responsible for driving global and transformational projects in the region as also act as ‘Voice of the Region’ with an intent to steer local regulatory and compliance requirements together with group company(s) feedback and solutions back to the Global units.
KEY IT SPENDING AREAS FY 2018-19
AI, ML, Digital, Big Data & Mining , Predictive Modelling, Infrastructure & ERP Consolidation, Autonomous driving
NAME 3 BEST PRACTICES FOR ALIGNING IT WITH NEW NORMAL BUSINESS DEMANDS
- IT Leader (CIO) as a member of Executive Committee and reporting to Board or the CEO.
2. Appropriate Steering Committees for various Business-IT engagements including likes of Strategy, Governance, Enterprise Architecture, Risk, Compliance, Audit, Demand & Service Management, and more.
3. Think Global, Act Local and at times also look at options of Think Local, Act Global especially in cases of serving IT demands from Indian suppliers.
WHAT IS THAT ONE KEY MESSAGE YOU WOULD LIKE TO GIVE TO IT VENDORS?
Think from a CIO’s perspective; ascertain pain areas and offer solutions rather than a boxed product or service that doesn’t meet end customer need. Don’t oversell yourself and neither be adamant about the product/service you offer, there is a lot of competition and opportunities too.
SIGNIFICANT MILESTONES AS CIO
For me in my new role as India Region Head – GP & IT, in the last one year, I have had an opportunity to assess, review, and drive the creation of a team from within 10+ legal entities in a matrix arrangement. Having been a strong technologist all through, it has been a sea change in my role of influencing outcomes through engagements, perseverance, and negotiations.
- Country Lead for a prestigious Digital Transformation Project rollout (initiated February 2018 and go-live December 2018).
• Successful deployment and roll-out of new ERP system within the year.
• Single-handed delivered disparate roles of CIO/CTO/CISO at Shell & Petrofac and perfected in each of the roles. Switched between the roles based on the need of the hour or as demanded in global assignments and projects.