Varuna Integrated Logistics | Logistics
MANISH GUPTA, VP-IT
THE IT ORGANISATION
IT department at Varuna is one stop Data and Development center for all technology requirements.
KEY IT SPENDING AREAS FY 2018-19
– Business Analytics
– Master Data Management
– Warehouse Management System
– Control Tower
– Fleet Operations Automation and Fleet Management
– Customer Operations Optimization using AI/Machine
– Market Vehicle Partner Integrations thru Mobile and
– Information Security (Server and End Point)
– Cloud Hosting
5 KEY SOLUTIONS DEPLOYED IN 2017-18
The following solutions have deployed in FY17-18:
• GST Enablement: Varuna was in reverse charge prior to GST as per GTA, After GST we decided to go
into FCM and successfully implemented GST for all business processes which led to significant saving thru
Input Credit. The Logistics players are still struggling to implement the same.
• Digitization of Trip Management: Trip Advance to driver is key element in transportation.
• BI Analytics Platform: Analytics platform deployed for key analytics and decision making for middle to
senior management thru Trend Analysis, Exception management etc.
WHAT DOES DIGITAL MEAN FOR YOU?
At Varuna Digital Transformation has two key
• Leverage Digitization to bring value to customer
through improved productivity, visibility, efficiency and
accuracy of the data captured during the process. This
also helps to improve customer engagement and build
good partner ecosystem.
• Using Digital Transformation to create additional services and products leading to additional revenue stream like Vendor Portal for aggregation of all logistics services requirements.
NAME 3 BEST PRA CTICES FOR ALIGNING IT WITH NEW NORMAL BUSINESS DEMANDS?
• All IT Initiatives are spearheaded by the core committee of which Business heads, Senior Management and CIO are an integral part
• IT is a core function rather than an enabling function; IT initiatives are always seen as investment not as an expense.
• Engagement of Business right from requirements
gathering to user training, support and continuous
WHAT IS THAT ONE KEY MESSAGE YOU WOULD LIKE TO GIVE TO IT VENDORS?
We would like our vendors to be our business partners than vendors.Generally, there is a gap where IT vendors do not understand the criticality or urgency of the problem and take substantial response time.
SIGNIFICANT MILESTONES AS CIO (CURRENT AND PAST ROLES)
• CIO – Varuna Logistics – Since 2016
• Co-Founder and CTO – Saral Technomart – from 2013-
• Head PMO, Mobility, Business Analytics and IT Infra –
Dalmia Bharat India Ltd. – 2011-13
• Head Delivery – Manufacturing – BirlaSoft – 2010-11