The CoWIN app will follow a new process, henceforth, after a new security feature has been added by the Government of India to minimise errors for online bookings or appointments. A new four digit security code feature has been added to the portal, which will be operational from 8 May 2021. The new feature aims at reducing the opportunities of impersonation and wrongful use of flexibilities provided in CoWIN for facilitating vaccination coverage.
What Is the New Security Feature for CoWIN App for Vaccine Registration Below 45 Years
The Government of India says that there have been some instances of citizens who have booked their sots having missed their scheduled appointments. However, they still erroneously received an SMS that a vaccine dose has been administered to them. This has happened mainly due to the vaccinator wrongly marking the citizen as vaccinated, says the Indian Government.
To combat this problem the CoWIN system is introducing a new feature of “4 digit security code” in the CoWIN app from 8 May 2021. This new feature will be applicable only for citizens who have done an online booking for a vaccination slot, and not for those doing on-the-spot registrations.
How the New Security Feature for CoWIN App for Vaccine Registration Below 45 Years Works?
- Beneficiaries who register for the vaccine will now get 4 digit security code upon booking an appointment online.
- This booking code will be sent through SMS and will also be given in the appointment confirmation slip.
- The “4-digit security code” will be printed in the appointment acknowledgment slip and will not be known to the vaccinator.
- This slip can be downloaded by beneficiaries on their mobile number.
- When the beneficiary goes to the centre for vaccination, the vaccinator will ask for the 4 digit code and then enter the same in the CoWIN system to correctly record the vaccination status.
New Guidelines for Citizens Using CoWIN App for Vaccine Registration Below 45 Years
- Citizens will now also have to carry a copy, either digital or physical, of their appointment slip along with their photo ID card used for booking the appointment and the registered mobile phone with appointment confirmation SMS, so that the 4-digit security code can be provided to the vaccinator.
- Citizens must provide the security code to the vaccinator only before the dose is administered, as the digital certificate will be generated only after the vaccination record has been updated with the security code.
- After vaccination, citizens must get a confirmation SMS on their registered mobile numbers.