AICTE, Cisco and NASSCOM FutureSkills have announced the launch of over 20,000 virtual internships for students in their second and third year. The internship process involves students first taking a self-paced online course, post which they can apply for internship opportunities at Cisco. “Unless students get internship opportunities, industries can’t expect trained talent. Hard-core exposure and industry internships are a must,” said Prof. Anil Dattatraya Sahasrabudhe, chairman, AICTE.
The courses that are currently available for students are cybersecurity courses called Introduction to Cybersecurity, which is optional and Cybersecurity Essentials, which is mandatory to become eligible to apply for the Cisco Networking Academy Virtual Internship. “The demand for Cybersecurity professionals is rapidly outpacing supply. According to NASSCOM reports it is likely to grow 5x in the near future. We need no less than a digital revolution to close the skill gap,” said Sameer Garde, president, Cisco.
The organisations aim at increasing the employability potential of students through this internship programme. “The aim of this internship program is to increase employability of fresh graduates through ‘learning by doing’. We want that our students are equipped with industry-ready skills as soon as they walk out of the college,” said Dr. Chandrasekhar Buddha, CEO AICTE.
Important Details of the AICTE, Cisco and NASSCOM Virtual Internship Programme
The following are some of the details with regard to the internship journey of students:
- Colleges or institutions will be communicated to by AICTE.
- NetCad partners will amplify the communication.
- Students will be required to register on the AICTE Internship Portal.
- Students will then have to enroll for NetCad courses either through college or the FutureSkills Prime portal.
- A quiz will be conducted by NetCad partners after which a certificate will be provided with AICTE and FS Prime logo.
- Students can then register on the NetCad portal and apply for the Cisco Networking Academy Virtual Internship. Students can take a look at the important timelines below:
“This initiative will enable forward & backward integration by bringing industry-aligned curriculum & providing internship opportunities to students. This will greatly improve the quality of education,” said Dr. MP Poonia, vice chairman, AICTE.