Are you carrying a dual SIM phone on yourself? If yes, you should be aware of the following facts about dual SIM phones and EMF (Electric and magnetic fields) Radiation.
4 out of every 5 Android phones sold in India are dual SIM phones. In today’s age of hyper-connectivity, dual SIMs are not just convenient, but also prudent on cost. As a user, I am contemplating using a 4G data connection from Jio network over and above my Vodafone connection on my smartphone. While enhanced connectivity and cost control are key benefits from a dual SIM phone, this also leads to a high battery usage/drainage and high phone radiation.
Here’s a quick rundown on the effects of Dual SIM phones in terms of EMF Radiation exposure-
- Every cell phone gives out radio frequency radiation (EMF Radiation) even in its idle stage as they reach out to the signals from the neighbouring cell towers.
- When you use a dual SIM phone, this EMF Radiation doubles since two independent radio circuits in your phone are actively trying to reach out to cell tower signals.
- Even when you are using only 1 SIM on a dual SIM phone, the blank SIM is still communicating with nearby towers. This forms the basis of emergency calls that you can call the police or paramedics with, in case you don’t get a signal or the phone does not unlock.
- Theoretically, therefore a dual SIM phone radiates 2X more than a single SIM device. In practise, because of optimization of phone components and architecture, the device radiates 40–80% higher than a single SIM device.
- Not only radiation, dual SIM phones also drain batteries faster because the battery is used to power two circuits simultaneously, which leads to increased usage and high-power drainage.
- A dual SIM phone can routinely exceed the threshold limits of radiation if used in low signal areas i.e rural areas, lifts and cars, basements etc.
- Network coverage in India being patchy, there is always a greater risk that one of the SIM networks is weak thereby leading to enhanced radiation.
To put matters straight, Dual SIM phones have their own sets of benefits- at any rate it is better to carry 1 Dual SIM phone than 2 Single SIM phones – but the aggravated exposure to EMF radiation is a factor that needs to be taken into consideration.
The key hack for exposure avoidance in many cases is adding distance. So instead of holding your phone to the head-side beside your ear – it is better to have the device at an arms-length and use an earphone / handsfree instead. This adage stands true for all phones (single SIMs included), but it is especially true for dual SIM phones. An increase is separation between the phone and the head, directly reduces 70-90% effect of EMF radiation exposure. A Bluetooth headset works as good for the same purpose.
A key feature that all of us forget to look for when buying a phone, is its SAR value. Be mindful of this parameter and choose a phone, if you must whose SAR value is less than 1Watt/Kg. Desist purchasing phones with SAR value higher than 1.3Watt/kg. The threshold limit of SAR value is 1.6 Watt/Kg, but it doesnot hurt to be safe. It’s one life at the end of the day, and it is yours to take care of.